11 Famous Athletes From The Lake Area
From the MLB to the NBA these Lake Charles natives have made a name for themselves in the world of sports.
- Terry Burrows got his start playing college baseball for McNeese State University then went on to pitch for the Texas Rangers, Milwaukee Brewers and San Diego Padres
- Casey Daigle was a Sulphur High School graduate had a successful MLB career on teams like the Arzona Diamondbacks and Minnesota Twins. He currently is continuing his baseball career as a pitcher for the AAA Fresno Grizzlies.
- McNeese State University alum Joe Dumars III had an impressive 14 year NBA career playing with the Detroit Pistons. He was inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006 and served as the President of Basketball Operations for the Detroit Pistons until 2014.
- Ray Fontenot's 4 year MLB career saw him pitching for the New York Yankees, Chicago Cubs and Minnesota Twins.
- As one of the NFL's Top 100 Players of 2016, Matt Forte's NFL career continues to climb. He played for the Chicago Bears from 2008 to 2015 and made his New York Jets debut during the 2016 season.
- Johnnie Gray was inducted into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame in 1993 and is currently a uniform inspector for the NFL.
- Mike Heinen currently resides in Lake Charles, but spend years as a pro golfer on the PGA Tour and the Nationwide Tour.
- Brian Johnson is a world renowned athlete and competitor in the 2008 Olympics in the men's long jump.
- Washington-Marion High School grad, Eddie Kennison, started his football career playing at LSU where he was a six time All-American selection. He was drafted by the St. Louis Rams in 1996 and has also played for the New Orleans Saints, Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs.
- Ted Lyons played 21 MLB seasons with the Chicago White Sox and was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1955.
- Justin Vincent graduated from Barbe High School and played for the Pittsburgh Steelers until 2010. He is currently the host of FOX Sports Louisiana Sunday Kickoff.
I think it's safe to say that Lake Charles has raised some truly amazing athletes over the years and I can't see what the future holds for sports figures in SWLA.