Classic Rock 92.1 Local Sports Update – March 1, 2017
LHSAA Girls Basketball Playoffs
The girls basketball state tournament is underway this week in Hammond, Louisiana. In the class 1A semi-finals yesterday, Merryville fell to Gueydan in overtime by a score of 68-63. Gueydan will advance to play North Central in the 1A state championship game.
In girls playoff action today, Lake Arthur will take on Madison Prep at 1:15 for a berth in the 2A state championship game. The winner of this game will face off with the winner of Mamou and Rayville.
Also in action tonight will be the top seed in 3A, South Beauregard. The Lady Knights will be looking for a berth in the 3A state championship game when they face off with Ville Platte tonight at 6:15. On the other side of the 3A bracket, the Iota Lady Bulldogs also look to clinch their berth in the 3A state championship game when they take on Albany at 8:00.
LHSAA Boys Basketball Playoffs
Here are the scores from second round action of the LHSAA Men's Basketball Playoffs:
(1) Washington-Marion 80, (16) Edna Karr 52
(12) DeRidder 50, (5) Fair Park 68
(11) LaGrange 49, (6) Plaquemine 74
(17) Westlake 54, (1) Peabody 86
(9) Jennings 67, (8) Donaldsonville 63
(12) Iowa 54, (5) Madison 85
(6) South Beauregard 61, (11) Union Parish 57
(10) Lake Arthur 53, (7) Sophie B. Wright 86
(13) Grand Lake 46, (4) White Castle 77
(13) Bell City 51, (4) Florien 70
(2) Hathaway 75, (15) Castor 37
(6) Elizabeth 59, (11) Phoenix 57
(7) Singer 56, (10) Starks 51
(18) Reeves 36, (2) Simpson 70
(16) Notre Dame 45, (1) Dunham 70
(3) Hamilton Christian 89, (14) Ascension Catholic 53
After getting swept in a four game series against 7th ranked Arizona, the McNeese baseball team returns to action in Lake Charles tonight against UL-Monroe in a rematch of their record breaking 32-4 win over the Warhawks just eight days ago. First pitch at Joe Miller Park will be at 6:00.
The McNeese softball team is now on a three game winning streak after defeating South Alabama 7-1 yesterday. The Cowgirls avenge their 1-0 loss back on February 18th to South Alabama. The Cowgirls are now 8-9 on the season and will take a trip out west to San Diego for a five game stretch starting tomorrow against BYU.